Jun 7, 2013

DIY Fairy Gardening with Succulents


To me succulents are the ideal plants for creating fairy scenes. To use them in tiny fairy gardens you simply cut a few twigs and put them in water and in the sun. After a few days they will often root and you can plant them in a new fairy garden.



Last year on Pinterest I saw lovely terracotta flower pot fairy gardens. For these gardens I use broken terracotta flower pots, succulents and moss. Soaked soil can be used as modelling paste but afterwards the succulents don't need alot of water.
1 - Create a layer of stones on the bottom for drainage and fill 1/3 of the pot with soaked soil.
2 - Place a large potsherd as a wall in the middle of the pot and fill the space with soaked soil.
3 - Place small potsherds as the steps of the stairs in a half circle around the main potsherd.
4 - Fill the top of the flower pot with succulent plants and cover the dark soil with moss.
5 - Decorate the garden with tiny rooted succulents cuttings and all kinds of natural treasures.

- Update; for a more detailed tutorial visit the inspiring blog De Gulle Aarde - 



For this scene I simply used moss and a few rooted succulent cuttings to create a lovely moss terrace. I think it is important to use moss from your own garden and not to disturb or destroy the true fairy scenes in nature. It is easy to grow your own moss in a moist corner in your garden. 
1 - Collect moss and rooted succulent cuttings. 
Put a layer of gravel in a bowl and cover it with soaked soil.
2 - Make an arrangement of the succulents, leaving room for the terrace.
3 - Cover the soil with moss and add natural decorations.
5 - Garden furniture made of birch slices and willow branches makes a lovely fairy terrace!



 My favorite project so far are the fairy 'trees' in my front yard. I made them of tree root stumps with a succulent hat.
1 - Collect different (hanging) succulent plants and create a nest out of chicken wire. Place it on top of the tree stump and secure it. Fill the bottom of the nest with old newspapers and fill the nest with soaked soil.
2 - Cut holes in the wire and stick the plants into the nest.
3 - Finally cover all the visible wire and soil with moss and Spanish moss.




These fairy gardens are easy to create and to maintain and always attract the attention of people and fairies passing by!


Shared on;
The Magic Onions - Friday's Nature Table
Natural Suburbia - Creative Friday
Frontier Dreams - Keep Calm And Craft On
Like Mama Like Daughter - Eco-Kids Tuesday
Made by Joey - Sharing Creative Ideas

21 comments:

  1. Your create Incredible Magic my Friend :D... These are awesome ... much love... thanks for your consistent inspiration ... ((Hugs)) Vani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely compliment Vani!!

      Have a magical weekend,
      xx sas

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness!! Once again you have shown us wonderful ideas! I already have two fairy gardens,but I have to make more now that you have shared more with us. My problem-I don't know which one to do first! THANK YOU! Paty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi that is such a sweet thing to say Paty.

      Thank you so much
      and I wish you a wonderful weekend,

      sending you a fairy kiss from Holland,
      xx sas

      Delete
  3. Thank you for such beauty ...
    I will do something similar for my mother ... hope it goes well ...
    A big kiss!
    Are magic ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely handmade gift for your mother dear Remei, good luck!

      Sending you a hug from Holland,
      xxx sas

      Delete
  4. this looks absolutely magical, Sas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer, so nice to hear you like it :)
      xxx sas

      Delete
  5. Dear Sas,
    I love your ideas creating everything around fairies. The broken terracotta flower pot looks nice. And your fairy 'tree' is something very special.
    Best regards
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, with a toddler boy I have a lot of broken terracotta flower pots lately!

      And I'm happy with the fairy 'tree' myself too, our small front yard is quite difficult and these 'trees' make it more magical.

      Thank you Susi,
      xxx sas

      Delete
  6. I love succulents and terracata. You have some really great designs. I am planning to have a garden party with mini garden crafts. I added your page to my Pinterest so they can peruse for ideas to make them personal. for what it's worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pinning and commenting Jeannie
      good luck with your garden party, sounds like a wonderful idea!

      warm greetings
      xxx sas

      Delete
  7. Oh the terracotta pot idea is brilliant Sas! I love the tiny steps that disappear and how lush the planting are. Your tree stump is wonderful as well. You are so talented!
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for the beautiful compliment Joey!
      But the original terracotta pot idea is not mine, I got the inspiration last year from Pinterest.

      Sending you a big kiss, x!
      sas

      p.s
      every morning there is a blackbird poking in my fairy garden
      somehow he likes to poke beneath the tiny steps hihi

      Delete
    2. I just saw an even more detailed tutorial Joey ,

      http://de-gulle-aarde.blogspot.nl/2013/06/een-elfen-tuintje.html

      That blog is just wonderful!

      xxx sas

      Delete
  8. What beautiful creations, if I was passing by I know I would stop and look. Pots are always breaking in my garden I shall keep them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm now working on some variations because mine keep on breaking too ;)

      warm greetings
      xxx sas

      Delete
  9. Soooooo magical! Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday! Hope you will stop by again today! http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2013/06/eco-kids-tuesday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, dit is zo schattig! Can't wait to try it :D
    Groetjes, Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Came across your page while trying to figure out the best way to break the pot. I have a large outdoor fairy garden under my crab apple tree and want to make a broken pot garden for my back patio. I bought a large pot but how do I break it? Lol... help please? And thank you

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry but I have no idea, it suddenly feels like a luxury but with two kids there are always broken pots :) Perhaps with a small hammer? Good luck! xxx sas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting!

Please make the circle round by sharing
your thoughts, questions or inspiration!

I would love to hear from you,

xx sas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...